Transitional Kindergarten is the “new” grade, part of the Albany Unified School District and located on the Albany Children’s Center campus at 720 Jackson Street.
· Hours: 8:30 am – 1:00 pm (early bird) or 9:30 am – 2:00 pm (late bird). Lunch is served in the classroom.
· Class size: 1-20
· Shared activities: TK participates in all kindergarten activities such as Music, Library, and PE throughout the year.
· Before and after school care: is provided by the Albany Children’s Center. Limited space is available. Check the website or call 510-559-6590. Other local community organizations also provide after school care in the area.
· Learning environment: Students learn by working with the teacher in small and large groups and also have opportunities for independent exploration.
What is Transitional Kindergarten?
Transitional Kindergarten is a bridge between preschool and kindergarten for children turning 5 years old between September and December. It gives young learners a head start and provides them with an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment that is tailored to meet their academic and social needs.
· Is part of the public school system and is free for families
· Uses a unique, specialized curriculum that is based on the kindergarten standards and is designed to support young 5 year old students.
· Is taught by credentialed teachers with extra training to teach young kindergarteners
Senate Bill (SB) 1381 (Chapter 705, Statues of 2010) amended California Education Code (Section 46300, 48000, and 48010) to change the required birthday for admission to kindergarten and first grade and established a transitional kindergarten program beginning in the 2012–2013 school year.
A transitional kindergarten is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. Pursuant to law, (EC 48000[c]), a child is eligible for transitional kindergarten if a child will have his or her fifth birthday between September 2 and December 2.
To apply for transitional kindergarten complete the online application https://albanyusd.asp.aeries.net/air/ for the 2016-17 school-year, select Albany Children's Center from the drop down menu on the application. For more information contact Claudia Thio (510) 558-3762 or email@example.com
To visit transitional kindergarten contact Anna Mansker on (510) 559-6590 or firstname.lastname@example.org