The Albany Unified School District is pleased to announce that a contract for Superintendent of Schools has been offered to Dr. Frank Wells.
Dr. Wells is currently Executive Director of Human Resources at Gonzales Unified School District, a position he has held since 2018. Previously, he served as Assistant Superintendent with Santa Cruz Unified School District. He has experience as a teacher, principal, director, assistant superintendent, board member, and board president. Some of the highlights of Dr. Wells' career thus far are:
- Recipient of the Governor’s Top Academic Achievement Award for eliminating the achievement gaps while serving as an elementary school principal.
- Recognition for significant increase on the California High School Exit Exam pass rates while serving as a high school principal.
- Recipient of the Model School Award - State Superintendent of Schools.
- Recipient of the Teacher of the Year Award - San Francisco Bay Area.
- Recipient of the Administrator of the Year Award, ACSA Region 5.
There were thirty-one applicants for the position. The Board interviewed six finalists for the position during the week of May 5 & 6, 2019. Candidates were also interviewed by a Stakeholder Panel including staff at every level and community members representing a wide diversity of backgrounds and perspectives. Dr. Frank Wells will assume the duties of Superintendent beginning July 1, 2019.