Welcome to Kindergarten!
We look forward to working with you and your student to make the first year of school a positive learning experience.
Here is a list of social, emotional, and academic skills that we have found to be important for a smooth start to kindergarten.
• be able to tell an adult their name, and find, read, and write their first name.
• be able to be left alone with a new group of people in a new place without being overly fearful or anxious.
• tell an adult when they need to use the bathroom and be independent in using the bathroom (turning on lights, cleaning self, flushing, washing hands).
• be independent in putting on their own clothing and shoes.
• follow spoken directions.
• play with peers without being overly fearful or aggressive.
• attend to and complete a simple assignment.
• sit and attend during a teacher-directed activity for at least 5-10 minutes.
• ask for help when they need it.
• use pens, pencils, and scissors.
• know that letters and numbers have meaning. (They should have natural exposure to letters and numbers, from being regularly read to by caregivers.)
• be well rested and ready to start the school day on time.
Children are eligible for Kindergarten at the beginning of a school year, or whenever they move into the district, if the child will have his or her 5th birthday on or before September 1. For more information, go to the California Department of Education website: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/em/kinderinfo.asp
(Children turning five between September 2nd and December 2nd are eligible to enroll in Transitional Kindergarten. For more information please see Transitional Kindergarten Program.)
Staggered Start Times
Grades TK-3 have a staggered start and end time to allow for small group reading instruction at the beginning and end of the day. With a reduced class size during the reading hours, teachers can provide differentiated instruction and address specific reading issues.
TK & Kindergarten Hours
AM: 8:10 am - 11:30 pm
PM: 11:50 am -3:10 pm
1st Grade - 3rd Grade
Early Bird: 8:30 am - 1:00 pm
Lunch: 45 minutes (between 11 am and 12 noon)
Late Bird: 9:30 am - 2:00 pm
Locations & Tours
Kindergarten classes are held at the following sites. If you are interested in scheduling a school tour, please contact each site directly:
Before & After School Care
In addition to providing a preschool program, the Albany Children’s Center coordinates the enrollment of students for before & after school care at 3 of the Albany elementary schools. Limited space is available.
To enroll in AUSD childcare your student must first be pre-enrolled or enrolled in AUSD. You are then welcome to complete the Wait List Application and submit it to Felicia Lien at firstname.lastname@example.org, fax (510-559- 6593) or in person at 720 Jackson St. Other local community organizations also provide after school care in the area.
How to Enroll
Enrollment will begin Friday, February 1, 2019 for the 2019-20 school year. For information on the enrollment process please click here.