Interdistrict Permit Information

Dear Prospective AUSD Families:  If you are interested in applying for an interdistrict transfer to attend AUSD schools for the 2024–2025 school year, please complete the interest form (linked here) and our enrollment office staff will contact you. If you need in-person assistance, please contact the Enrollment Office.
Student Enrollment Center
1216 Solano Ave., Albany, CA 94706
Phone: (510) 558-3762
Monday and Friday: 1:00pm–4pm
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 8:00am–12:00pm and 1:00pm–4:00pm
Please call or email to make an appointment!
We look forward to receiving your application and expect to admit some transfer students this year!

Renewing An Interdistrict Transfer Permit

If your student currently attends an Albany school through an interdistrict transfer, you may be asked to RENEW that permit. Counties differ on their renewal requirements. Currently, Alameda County is operating under an agreement between all school districts that permit renewal is required only in those years that a student would be promoted to attend a new school. For example, a fifth grader who would be moving from their elementary school to a middle school would need to apply for a permit renewal, as would an eighth grader moving from middle school to high school. 
The West Contra Costa School District requires renewal of their permits annually at this time. 

Obtaining An Interdistrict Transfer Permit

Interdistrict Permits are required for students, residing outside of Albany city limits, who wish to attend a school in Albany Unified School District. 

To obtain an interdistrict permit, please visit your district of residence for their specific interdistrict permit.  Your district of residence will need to approve the permit before it can be submitted to AUSD.  Once we have received your permit, you will quickly receive a decision from AUSD and information on next steps to complete your enrollment. 

Interdistrict permit requests are approved based on the following priorities:

* 1st Priority: Students whose parents/guardians are employees of the Albany Unified School District (must work a minimum of 10 hours per week).

* 2nd Priority: Students whose parents/guardians are employed by the City of Albany, (employed at least 10 hours per week).

* 3rd Priority: Students whose siblings are ongoing interdistrict transfer students; and to ensure educational continuity of students.

*4th Priority: Students who are grandchildren of individual(s) who live(s) within the boundaries of Albany Unified School District.

* 5th Priority: Students whose parents/guardians have been business owners/operators within the City of Albany for a period of at least 1 month prior to their application.

* 6th Priority: All other applicants.


If an interdistrict permit application is submitted to AUSD for the current school year (2023–24), families will be notified whether their application is approved or denied within 30 days.

If an interdistrict permit application is submitted to AUSD for the next (2024–25) school year, most families will be notified in writing before the start of the school year, however, some approvals will not be made until the first two weeks of the school year, after school is in session. We are required to first accommodate all District residents, and the number of available spaces are often not known until after school begins. Please be sure to enroll in your student in your district of residence as new enrollment in AUSD with an interdistrict permit is never guaranteed. 

If an application for an interdistrict permit is denied, students will be placed on a waiting list. To remain on the waiting list, a new interdistrict permit application must be submitted each school year. 

Questions: Email Student Services: [email protected]

Interdistrict Permits Out of Albany Unified School District


Students wishing to attend school outside of Albany Unified School District must complete the Interdistrict Transfer Application for Alameda County Schools found above and submit it to Albany Unified School District Enrollment Office (1216 Solano Ave, Albany, CA 94706) either by US Mail, by email, or in person.


Questions: Email Student Services: [email protected]