Dear AUSD Community,
On Thursday and Friday, we had a higher-than-normal number of students absent/leaving school from AMS with stomach flu-like symptoms (i.e., vomiting and diarrhea). We are working with the Alameda County Public Health Department to investigate this situation, and we are deep-cleaning the affected classrooms this weekend.
Based on the limited information we currently have, we are recommending that:
- If your child becomes sick with vomiting and diarrhea:
- Contact the school and only return to school when student has been symptom-free for 48 hours
- Ensure that your child stays hydrated; contact your healthcare provider if your child becomes dehydrated
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently
- Disinfect household surfaces with a solution of 3/4 cup of concentrated bleach (or one cup of regular strength bleach) in one gallon of water
- Everyone should wash their hands with soap and water, especially after using the bathroom or before preparing or eating food. Cover all parts of hands with soap, rub lathered hands together vigorously for at least 20 seconds, and thoroughly rinse the hands with water.
We want to reassure you that we are doing everything to keep our students and community healthy.